Ragweed vs. Goldenrod
- Season: Their only real similarity is that they both grow during the late summer early fall.
- Flowers: Ragweed’s flowers are yellowish green and inconspicuous, Goldenrod’s are golden and easy to see.
- Pollen: Ragweed’s pollen is light and is easily airborne (it can travel up to 400miles). Goldenrod’s pollen is insect pollenated and is heavy and slightly sticky
How to Identify Goldenrod
- long and narrow lance shaped leaves
- golden flowers
- grows 2-4 feet tall in fields, edges of sidewalks, sides of the road
How to Harvest and Prepare Goldenrod
Goldenrod can be prepared in different ways. The Nerdy Farmwife has a great article about how to harvest and prepare it. After reading it, I was on the look-out and didn’t have to look far, some was growing in our front yard and in our driveway. I harvested a few bundles just the other day and hope to make these remedies below. Stay tuned, I’ll let you know how it goes.
Healing benefits of Goldenrod
- known as a diuretic for helping prevent kidney stones and clear the urinary tract
- treats inflammation
- protects against infection
- alleviates rhinitis (runny, stuffy nose)
- alleviates upper chest congestion
- in a salve it can help with arthritis and muscle pain
Ways to enjoy Goldenrod as medicine
- in a tea
- infused oil or honey
- in a Vodka tincture
- as a salve using an infused oil
Check out this article to see how you can use this amazing plant as medicine.
How do you react to allergies? Or are you one of the lucky ones that has NO idea what I’m talking about?