Impress your dinner guests with this simple and nutritious desert – or consider serving it up for breakfast. Yes! Desert for breakfast is a thing when it has a healthy source of fats and protein. And, if you have children this is sure to be a hit with them too (they’ll never know it’s made with avocados)
As easy as making a smoothie, this is a great recipe to use up over-ripe avocados & bananas, and has a great dose of magnesium; the magnificent mineral.
Creamy, chocolatey, smooth, cold, sweet (but not too sweet) and delicious
Ingredients: serves about 2
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tbsp. cacao powder* (a great source of magnesium which helps calm and relax the body and supplements the body with vital minerals)
- 2 tsp. grass-fed collagen (I used the Vital Proteins brand which is about 9g of protein)
- 1/3 coconut milk or nut milk of choice (or 2 tbsp. coconut milk powder + 1/3 cup water)
- 1-2 tsp. Canadian maple syrup
optional: Add 2 tsp. Vanilla Fermented Protein Powder by Genuine Health for added protein. If you choose to add this, do so before adding maple syrup and then adjust sweetness.
* Cacao and cocoa look the same, and they both contain magnesium but the major difference is that cacao is made by cold pressing the raw cocoa beans which preserves the the healthful living enzymes whereas cocoa is made using a high heat.
Make it like so…
- Fill a blender or Magic Bullet with nut milk, powders (cacao, collagen and protein if using), avocados and banana
- Blend until smooth
- Taste and adjust sweetness by adding 1-2 tsp. maple syrup
- Serve cold w/ frozen berries, unsweetened coconut flakes or nuts
For added fibre…
Try this pudding on top of steamed quinoa. If you’ve never had quinoa for breakfast, think of it like oatmeal’s cousin. It’s a great base, is a complete protein and and has 2x as much fibre as most grains.