I’m 13 days into a new way of eating, inspired by the candida diet.
I’ve temporarily cut out all grains, sugars and starchy foods in a effort to starve the sugar out of my body.
Aside from some emotional detoxing to food (yes this is a real thing) I’ve felt AH-mazing!
- My energy has improved
- My allergies have improved
- I no longer feel like the Tin Man when I wake up in the morning (achy joints and muscles)
- The bags under my eyes have dissipated
- I’ve lost 6 lbs.
The sacrifice: no comfort foods like chips and or crackers, unless they were grain-free. Imagine there were such a thing. There is! Foraging and Feasting shared a recipe not too long ago for grain-free crackers using:
- ground flax seeds
- ground sesame seeds
- herbs + seasoning
So simple! (and take less than 25 mins. to make)
I was so excited by the way they turned out. I’ve made them so many times now that I switched it up by adding in some cauliflower rice. It’s hard to say which version I like better, I guess it depends what you’re in the mood for and whether you have any cauliflower.
If you want a dry, crunchy cracker perfect for dipping or topping with your favourite spread – go for the first recipe without cauliflower. They’re delicious with tahini, fresh greens and lemon juice.
If you’re looking for a medium crunchy cracker that that doubles as “toast” for your breakfast eggs or as a pizza crust – with cauliflower would be your best bet. When I tried them with cauliflower they reminded me of an incredible cauliflower pizza crust recipe that my sister Rita taught me a few years ago. Stay tuned for a pizza night recipe!
- 2/3 cups ground flax seeds
- 2/3 cups ground sesame seeds
- 2 tsp. seasoning of choice (rosemary, sage, curry, cumin or a mix of choice)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, more for sprinkling
- 2 eggs
- Same as above + 1 cup cooled and drained cauliflower rice
- pulse 1.5 cups raw cauliflower florets in a food processor until it’s fine like rice
- bake or steam the cauliflower for 15 minutes at 350 degrees
- let cauliflower cool in the fridge
- by hand or in a cheesecloth, squeeze the water out of the cauliflower rice until you have 1 cup of drained cauliflower
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- grind 2/3 cup flax seeds and 2/3 cup sesame seeds and add them to the mix
- add in 1 cup drained and cooled cauliflower rice
- mix in 2 eggs and 2 tsp. herbs of choice. until a sticky consistency form
- roll dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper until the dough is about 1/8″ thick evenly spread (a little bit thicker if you’re making pizza crust)
- sprinkle with salt and pepper
- bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until edges brown
- slice with a pizza cutter or break into bite sized pieces. If you cut them right out of the over they’re more likely to cut with a pizza cutter.